Essential Oils and Carrier Oils
Essential oils are distilled from the plant itself. They have the signature scent of the plant they came from. And they’re highly concentrated. For instance, it takes 220 pounds of lavender flowers to make a single pound of lavender oil.
Carrier oils (such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, and olive oil) also come from plants, but they have a more neutral smell. And they’re not necessarily distilled down like essential oils are.
Here are the benefits of some essential and carrier oils:
- Almond oil soothes and moisturizes the scalp.
- Cedarwood oil stimulates the scalp and promotes hair growth.
- Chamomile oil adds shine and softness to hair, and soothes the scalp.
- Clary sage oil promotes hair growth and stimulates the scalp.
- Cocunut oil softens hair and increases shine.
- Geranium oil strengthens hair.
- Jojoba oil moisturizes the hair, adds nutrients, and stimulates the scalp.
- Lavender oil deep conditions the hair, keeps it shiny, and helps control dandruff
- Moroccan argan oil moisturizes, nourishes, and provides antioxidants to hair.
- Rosemary oil stimulates the roots, improves hair growth, and increases circulation in the scalp.
- Sandalwood oil helps with dry ends, and adds fragrance to the hair.